Wednesday, March 12, 2008

XSlimmer -- Reclaim your space

I just downloaded THEE best application for OS X ever! XSlimmer is a simple utility that strips out all of the PowerPC code in your Intel based Mac or vice versa.

"That sounds dangerous," you say. But why do you need code in your applications if you're not going to use it?

Let me explain a little better, all Universal binaries are essentially written with two versions in one, one for Intel processors and another version for PowerPC CPU (e.g. older G4s and G5s), what XSlimmer does is strip out all the code that is not used by your native chipset, therefore saving you a ton of precious hard drive space. I saved a little over 3 gigabytes on my MacBook Pro and a little over 4 gigabytes on my MacPro.

Overall, I highly recommend this product to any OS X user. It isn't free, but it is cheap, $12 U.S. the demo only allows you save up to 50MB of space, it's the best $12 I ever spent.

Get it here (XSlimmer.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment