Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Sad Pizza Man

p>For the last three or four days I've been craving a pizza from Pizza Hut. But on each, and every single night that the pizza craving launched a surprise attack on my stomach, something with a force similar to that of a typhoon had prevented me from achieving my goal of cheesy crusty goodness.

Example, one night my craving struck after they (Pizza Hut) were closed, the following night PIzza Hut was so busy they weren't doing any more deliveries. But last night, oh yes, that was my shining moment. Last night, my friend, the moon and stars aligned and allowed me to obtain the delectable disc shaped heart stopper.

So, after waiting the prerequisite 35-45 minutes for delivery my moment had come. "Ding-Dong" I heard, I let out a slightly girly cry of 'yay' and opened the door...

Once I opened the door, however, things changed. You see, the delivery guy was the same guy who used to deliver them way back when. See, I haven't ordered from Pizza Hut in about 6-7 months, so it was quite shocking to see his dumb, scared face staring at me through my security door holding my pizza. I see him, standing on the porch, freezing in the cold, he builds up enough courage to say "Fourteen Thrity-seven...".

The one thing about him that always bugged me was I could never tell if he was just a total asshole, or dumb. Last night however, I found out the truth. He's scared. I gave him a twenty and as he counted off from twenty it hit me, he gave me my change and I tipped him a measly $1. He looked at me, deep in my eyes and I realized he's scared.

Scared of what you say? Certainly not me. He's delivered countless pizza-pies to my house and I'm pretty sure he knows I wont jack him.

So what do I honestly think he was scared of? Deep down inside, I think he's scared for his future. Scared that he wont live up to expectations others have put on him, scared that he thinks he's letting people down that he still delivers pizzas.

But, on the other hand, when I gave him his tip he didn't say 'thank you' he said 'OK'. Like he expected more.

What an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment