Thursday, February 28, 2008

Some Other Blues

Recently, I decided I'd treat myself for my birthday and order me up some new headphones. Some of you may know I've been a long time supporter of Grado, and my beloved SR-60's have been doing the job quite well for the past 5+ years. And they're still working fine, audio quality is better then when I first bought them. The only problem is the mini-jack has worn out due to a tragic accident that occurred nearly 4 years ago. [1]

The problem is extremely frustrating and annoying, the slightest movement causes an iPod to pause or lose one ear until I wiggle back in to place.

So as of today, I'm rocking the SR-80s. And I have to say that I'm still a lover of Mr. Grado, in the audio sense. It's not physical or anything like that. Well, there was that one time in Mexico.

(Some time later, after awaking from his fond memories of Mr. Grado running in the sand.)

Where was I? Oh yes. The SR-80s are quite amazing. Every bit as good as my 60s. I can't give a full review as they haven't broken in yet, but as of right now they totally worth the price of admission.

I've been listening to some classics like old Queens of the Stone Age, Green Day (the good Green Day), Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Kojima Mayumi and John Coltrane. My God, John Coltrane sounds amazing on these things, on the entire Love Supreme album it's like I'm in McCoy Tyner's piano. Fucking amazing.

Completeoutside_2
All this talk about headphones and HI-FI has made me want to build a headphone pre-amp. It looks easy, and the super-cool-totally-diy-geeky thing about it is that it fits inside a Altoids tin, it looks absolutely too cool for school, but I'm no soldering and electronics genius; but if I have to I can solder.

I'm sure a lot of people who read my blog are geeky like me, so here's the link if anyone wants to build it. [2]

[1] Read all about the sad story of my headphones here plus there's monster trucks!

[2] I used the image above without permission, but I figured since I'm linking back to original site, and I'm hosting the picture they won't mind. If the original authors mind, let me know and I'll fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment