Monday, January 8, 2007

Classic Computing

My mom is watching the baby tonight, giving us a much needed break and catch up on some of the sleep that Kaitlin has been depriving us of.

Tonight I'm catching up on the past and messing around with Apple ][ emulators. My oldest computer I had was an IBM clone of a Commodore 64. I was in geek heaven, of course I was only 7 years old at the time, and still being a geek in training, I couldn't enjoy to the fullest had I used 6 or so years later.

I remember my grandmother bought it from some guy so brought over a big box filled with magazines, giant 5.25" floppy disks and cartridges. It was great.

As I was installing the Apple ][ emulator, I desperately wished I could go back in time and be a 17 year old kid discovering his first computer, reading Boardwatch and Softalk magazine, punching in code, line by line. To me, that's what personal computing is all about. True hard core geekiness.

Computers have become too stylish, too trendy, too mainstream.

I really miss the green glow of the old monitors, and the clanking and whirring of the old floppy drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment